Martin Primary School


 How do I make an application for a school place?

  • Nursery - an application form can be obtained from the school (please note that a place in the Nursery does not guarantee a place in Reception)
  • Reception to Year 6 – applications should be made through the Barnet Admissions website

Please click here for more information about our admissions process.


What if my child has special needs?

We are an inclusive school and we welcome all children.  Our Inclusion Leader, Hannah Taylor, is highly experienced and is always happy to meet with parents and carers to discuss specific concerns.  We also have a number of staff in school who are trained and have years of experience in providing specialist support for children with SEND.


What if my child has English as an additional language (EAL)?

All EAL children are assessed when they start at the school so that we can determine their knowledge of the English language and their progress is carefully tracked by the teaching staff in the classroom.  We have a fantastic EAL Leader, Kate Tench, who also provides support to our EAL children.


What time does school start and finish?

Our start and finish times are as follows:

8.40am to 11.40am &

12.40pm to 3.40pm

Owls and Hedgehogs (Nursery)

8.45am to 3.25pm

Reception, Year 1 & Year 2 

8.45am to 3.30pm

Year 3, Year 4, Year 5 & Year 6


Is there before and after school provision?

Yes – from 7.30am to 6.00pm for all children from Nursery to Year 6.  Click on these links for more information: Breakfast Club and Other Clubs for more information


What should I do if my child is not well?

If your child is not well enough to attend school then they should be kept at home.  You should telephone the school office every day of their absence to tell us why they are unable to come to school.   If you are unsure whether your child will be able to cope at school due to illness, please bring them into school and have a word with a member of staff so that we can be alerted to any potential difficulties.  Please be assured that we will contact you should your child’s health deteriorate during the day. 


Are children given homework?

This depends on your child’s age.  You will be receive information about homework expectations at the beginning of each year.


Do you have a School Council?

Yes and the members of our School Council make a fantastic contribution to the life of the school.   Our School Council meets at least once a month with a member of staff. As well as putting forward the views of the children in their class, the councillors also help with other things in the school.


Where can I buy the school uniform?

Some items from Uniform4Kids and others from high street shops – click here for more information


What is the best time to talk to my child’s teacher?

The best time to talk to your child's class teacher is at the end of the day.  You can arrange an appointment by sending an email to the school office team and they will arrange a convenient date and time. 


What should I do if I feel my child is unhappy at school?

The happiness of the children is our priority and we take concerns about their wellbeing very seriously. If you feel your child is unhappy please speak to their class teacher; you can do so by making an appointment through the school office.  


Can I park at the school?

Unfortunately we do not have car parking facilities on site for our parents and carers.  There is some parking in residential roads around the school and we ask everyone to park legally and with due consideration for our neighbours.  Please do not park around the area at the top of Plane Tree Walk as this is not safe for the children arriving at and leaving school.


Can my child walk to school alone?

Only children in Year 5 and Year 6 are allowed to walk to school alone.  Their parent/carer must have signed an Independent Traveller permission form which is available from the school office.   


How much is a school meal?

The daily cost is £2.41 for Nursery children.  School meals are free for all children from Reception to Year 6.


If I choose to give my child a packed lunch what should I include?

We are a nut free school.  We encourage healthy eating and expect parents to choose healthily when creating a packed lunch.


What do I do if my child has lost a piece of clothing?

Please ensure that all clothing is clearly named either with a sewn-in label or with indelible ink.  If an item goes missing please inform the class teacher/teaching assistant who will look in the lost property area. We will do our utmost to find lost items but we are unable to provide a replacement.


Which school should my child go to when they leave at the end of Year 6?

We are very lucky to have a number of excellent secondary schools in our nearby area.  Before you make your decision about which to apply for, please make sure that you and your child visit the schools on their opening days so that you can decide which one best suits their needs.  If you need any guidance or support with completing the application form please contact the school office and they will be happy to help.  Please click here for more information.


How can parents get involved?

Every parent and carer at the school is a member of the Martin Home School Association (MHSA) and everyone is welcome to get involved.  Please click here for more information.